Friday, July 18, 2008

Contemporary opposite of innocence

Like a rusty barnacle, Beck's new album has grown on me. I initially had doubts, but those doubts have been swept away in a sea of funky riffs, beats and melodies. Beck retains the ability to make really cool musical moments. Not to be confused with tour de force songs, uplifting harmonies or penetrative lyrics, musical moments are those little gems within songs that pop up in your head, in anticipation and again and again afterwards. I can count at least five of these in the first five songs, but i'm confident the back end of the album will contain its sweet rewards too. I'm still not convinced that this album, like the last few, has the same emotional depth or simple richness that I feel some of his earlier work does. Heck, what do I know?

1 comment:

Spencer Troxell said...

'like a rusty barnacle.' Very nice.